INSTRUCTIONS ON SHIPPING ANIMAL BLOOD SAMPLES FROM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS & CERTIFICATION LETTER.
1. Serum should be separated from the cells 30 minutes after collection. Centrifuging the blood before complete clotting may cause hemolysis.
2. Place serum or plasma (whichever the test requires) in separate aliquot tubes.
3. DO NOT send blood in serum separator tubes (SST) as the silicone plug gets loose in transit and causes marked hemolysis.
4. After separating the serum, please DO NOT send the vacutainer tubes holding just the clot, or blood cells in it.
5. LABEL ALLTUBES CLEARLY WITH PETS NAME AND OWNERS LAST NAME
6. DO NOT freeze samples. Lavender top (EDTA) tubes require an ice pack with an overnight courier, or priority mail.
7. A minimum of 1.5 – 2.0 mL of separated serum is required for basic panels. This will allow the lab to repeat any test if necessary.
8. When sending citrated anticoagulated samples for coagulation studies (blue top tube), be sure to centrifuge the blood and send us ONLY the separated plasma.
9. SAMPLES SHOULD BE KEPT COLD UNTIL SHIPPED.
1. Please fill the Test Request Form (TRF) completely and legibly.
2. THE 3RD BOX ON THE TEST REQUEST FORM (TRF) MUST BE COMPLETELY FILLED OUT FOR ACCURATE ANALYSIS AND RECOMMENDATIONS.
3. If desired test is NOT in the form, please write the request clearly on the back or on a separate paper, but clearly DISTINCT from the diagnosis and other historical notes (to avoid test/s being MISSED).
4. IF the owner wants to receive copy of the report, please provide their FAX number or an e-mail address.
1. Make sure samples are in a tightly closed “LEAK-PROOF” tubes (e.g. RTT) or “LEAK-PROOF” aliquot tube.
2. Secure the tubes cap or stopper with plastic wrap or tape.
3. Place tube/s inside a specimen bag or zip-lock bag. Remove air from bag and seal tight with tapes. This will enable us to salvage any serum in case the tube/s break or leak in transit.
4. Wrap (tubes/s in bag) with bubble wrap (available in most FEDEX, Postal offices or mailing stores), then place inside a STURDY shipping box. (Please DO NOT overpad).
5. Do not use padded envelopes, as the samples will likely break.
1. To satisfy USDA requirements, this statement MUST be clearly written on the outside of the package…”CANINE (or FELINE) SERUM, NON-INFECTIOUS, FOR DIAGNOSTIC PURPOSES ONLY”.
2. In addition, please include 2-3 copies of the “certification statement” (please see example below). This letter is used by the USDA and CDC Inspectors together with the US Customs Declarations at the Port of Entry. Place the copies behind the shipping labels (outside plastic pouch) for easy access by USDA and Customs inspectors.
3. Ship the samples using FEDEX courier, Priority Airmail, or other Postal Airmail.
1. Samples are received in our facility Monday through Saturday.
2. HEMOPET will process and assay the samples. Dr. Dodds and her professional veterinary staff will then follow with interpretations and recommendations.
Results of test/s are sent to the requesting veterinarians and to owners, if specifically requested, usually 1-2 days from the receipt of the samples except when the sample is received on a weekend or the day before a HOLIDAY, in which results will be faxed the following Monday, or the following regular working day, respectively.
Send check, money order or credit card information along with samples to:
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843
Phone 714-891-2022, ext. 19 (lab)
If paying by credit card, please call us at 001-714-891-2022 or fax the number and information to our dedicated lines 001-714-891-2133 or 001-714-891-2123, rather than include these information inside the package (for security reasons).
Please e-mail us if you have any questions at
or call us at 714-891-2022, ext 19.
Thank you for your continued support!
Lab Director HEMOLIFE Diagnostic Division of HEMOPET
Hemopet is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Federal ID #95-4063237.
“Your source for life”